Saturday, February 5, 2011

SA TT Championships

Ok guys, so sorry for the hectic late blog post... I'm currently down in Stellenbosch and have been trying to find an internet cafe for the last couple of days. So I've finally found one, so now... the blogging commenses.

So... at sparrows fart on Tuesday morning, my dad and I left PMB to make the long drive down to Port Elizabeth for the South African TT Championships. After a really good bonding experience with the old man we arrived in PE at around 12:00, making our way straight to the awesome accommodation the Bronwen Blunden so kindly helped organise for us- being literally a 2 minute drive away from the start of the TT and registartion, it was the perfect place for the occasion.

After a quick spin around the TT route, I could feel that my legs were feeling really good for the TT that was 2 days away, although I was slightly nervous to see how my body would hold up to the awkward geometry of the bike, as I had only had 4 days to try and get used to it
Wednesday was possibly the most chilled day of my life. My day consisted of one very light ride and driving the TT route a couple of times, which was then followed by some hardcore chilling.

Thursday dawned, game face on, and ready to race. My sights were set on one thing and one ting only-the green and gold stripes of the Sout African Champions Jersey!I did everything perfectly, down to the finest detail. The only thing that wasnt in my favour was the intense wind that was pumping... but I managed to keep a positive mind set. I was the 6th rider off, with each person being set off at 1 minute intervals. I sat perched in the starting pen, waiting for the count down to end so i could get onto the road.

I rolled out onto the tarmac and got staright into the most aerodynamic position possible. After around 2km I had already caught and passed the first person in front of me, and now set my sight on the next person. I began to catch up most of the riders who had started in front of me, each time telling myself that I could close the gap to the next person if I push harder - and it worked! 15km out was the turn around point, as I made the turn it literally felt as though I was riding straight into a wall. The head wind was so intense that it felt like I was barely moving. It took me a while but I eventually managed to find my rhythm again and set my sites and the fourth rider I wanted to catch. Coming into the final 4km's I turned myself inside-out. I managed to tear passed him and tried to block up the pain swelling from my back and butt! The pain was the most intense thing I've ever experienced... although I had ridden the TT bike a lot over the past 4 or so days, racing it was a COMPLETELY different story!!! Despite this, I pushed it to the back of my mind and crossed the line in 5th. It was a disappointing result at the time, but in the end I gave it everything. I missed 4th position by 4 seconds, 3rd postion by 20seconds and 2nd postion by 34secs. James Fourie completely destroyed the junior field! over 1:30 ahead of 2nd place. Hats off to him for such a classy ride!

I'd also like to thank everybody for the time and effort they put into me to try and insure the best possible result for me! From my very awesome parents, my manager, Max cluer, Bronwen Blunden, Dan Hugo, Dylan van der Merwe, Clint Morck, Craig Paul.... EVERYONE!!! You guys rock!

Time to go hit the trails! I'll keep you all posted:)

Peace
B

No comments: