Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Good times up in Big Bear

Hey guys

First off, I apologise for not having updated my blog sooner. I got a little side tracked but all is on track now.

So for the past couple of weeks I've been up in Big Bear with good friends Casey and Cameron Williams, along with their awesome family. Its been an absolute blast from the second I walked into the house, the Williams family are always super welcoming and loving, which really helps me to feel at home.

Ok, so around 2 weeks or so ago, I made the trip up from LA with Cameron and his mom, Kim, after he had competed in a Cyclo Cross race very close to where I live. I managed to make it up to the small town nestled in the mountains just in time to spend the final couple of days of 'Fall break' with Casey and Cameron before they had to head back to school the following week. We clocked some pretty big hours for that week, with Casey showing me around all his Base Training areas. Basically theres only 3 roads that lead out of Big Bear, but, those 3 roads are probably have some of the most mind glowingly awesome road riding I have ever done. For 2 weeks I've been riding those roads, alternating different routes, sometimes combining two of them to get in a massive ride. However, one of those rides stood out from the rest. Last week I had a super long ride, and decided to combining the two most scenic routes in order to get the right amount of time in with out getting super bored from looking at the same thing the entire ride. So I took off into the day, and after a couple hours, I found myself climbing into the clouds. After nearly 2 full hours of climbing I finally popped out the top of the white fluffy cotton to an amazing image. The road i was one could be seen in the distance, which meant I still had more climbing, but what really struck me was the white ocean that lay beneath me in the valleys. Without seeming too cliche, the only words I can actually use are, breath taking, literally.... The clouds moved like waves, pulsating through the valleys and crashing into the cliff faces. I can tell you how the cold wind was nipping at my skin, or how the clouds engulfed me us I made my way up to the summit of the pass, but the truth is, to actually have experienced something so amazingly beautiful, was simply surreal. People driving in cars were stopping to take pictures, little kids pointed out the windows in search of some mystical creature. Man o' man was it SIIIICK!!!

So now that I've shared the highlight of all the awesome times I've had here in Big Bear, I think I should let you all know that I went to the High School here in Big Bear for a week, which was surprisingly cool. It was really weird at first, with everyone looking at me like a new kid, but it then turned into people saying, "dude, its that kid from Africa." I met a bunch of really cool kids at the school and made some awesome new friends. Pretty much for the last 5 or 6 days I've been coming to school, then hit a ride and then when it gets cold enough, around 8or 9 at night, we make snow in Casey's back yard. Also, in my time away from LA I haven't been in Big Bear the entire time. This past weekend Casey, Cameron and I made a trip down to San Diego for a CX (Cyclo Cross) race. I didn't compete but watched from the stationary trainer, and then headed out on the roads with the boys once their race was over.

The weather is starting to get a little colder now in Big Bear which presented the perfect opportunity to test out the new gear sponsor's, Jakroo, wind/winter jacket. I can honestly say that its super toasty. In the cold 10*C winds I was working up a sweat. Super impressed with both the quality and performance of the garment!

Unfortunately all good things do come to an end, and I will be heading back down the hill tomorrow morning. On Thursday is the Mike Nosco memorial ride, which I've heard is BRUTAL!!! Super amped to see what its all about, and to meet up with Scott, Ty, Johnny and the rest of the team in Ventura. A huge thanks needs to go out to the Williams family for hosting me and being like a family to me. I love you guys and appreciate everything you guys do for me!!!

Until next time
B



The road leading up above the clouds

Managed to snap this shot with my iPhone last week

No comments: