Monday, May 31, 2010

Mtunzini Super Classic

This past weekend was the Mtunzini Super Classic held around the small town of Mtunzini near Richards bay.

The race was slightly longer than what I normally race, being about 10km longer than the normal 45km super classic races, but from my experience from the previous years, I knew it would be fast and flat the whole way, and was preparing for a super fast pace.

We were the first batch off at 09h00 and the start the pace was very chilled with a few minor attacks going off the front, which were closed down fairly easily. After 5km or so, Andrew Warr came to the front and laid down the law. I followed and soon found myself in a break going over the top of a short steep climb. We began to work well together, but were soon joined by powerhouse, Shaun Peschl. We were now a group of three as we settled into a fast rhythum and began to open up a big gap on the chasing bunch.

At around the half way mark the marshall on duty at the intersection directed us down the wrong route and we lost a huge amount of time as we covered about 2km before we turned around and rode back to where we had gone wrong, Fortunately only one rider had managed to pass us , but we soon caught and dropped him after a couple of gruelling km.

At around the 35km mark we hit the biggest climb of the day and this is where Andrew and I made our move. We managed to open up a good gap on Shaun and were now making head way to the finish. Unfortunately the last water table was ready for us when we came through and we were unable to get some refreshments and as Murphy would have it I finished off the last of my juice about 15km out from the finish.

At 50km I knew I was in big trouble, I blew to pieces and decided to do damage control to the finish. In the process I lost 2 places and had to settle for a 4th overall some 3 minutes behind Andrew, but still managed to be the first Junior in. A very different race and a very different approach by organizers but a good effort by those involved.

Now back to the books in an effort to get these matric exams behind me together with some final preparations for the Nelspruit National (SA XCO4)which will take place on 12 June.

Ciao
B

No comments: