Monday, May 3, 2010

KZN XCO Championships - Cascades

Hey guys!

This past weekend was the KZN XC champs at Cascades, where the MTN National XC/DH was held a couple of weeks ago. It followed pretty much the exact same course, but unfortunately all the bull runs were kept out.

Well to be honest I had a very disappointing race. Off the start I made my break and went as hard as possible to get a gap on the rest of the bunch. ( I raced up in the U/23 category) I had managed to open up a very comfortable lead over the competition after the first lap, and kept the hammer down to see how far I could stretch the gap.

I held the pace as high as possible at all times, and going into the 4th of 8 laps I began to lap the back markers of the bunch. Unfortunately, while trying to push the limit further and further each lap, I made a crucial mistake on the exit of an EXTREMELY fast single track. On the exit of the single track was a dirt road, with a very fast left turn. I launched out the single track, and with the extra speed I was unable to hold my line through the corner. Before I knew it my front wheel was about to clip a stump on the edge of the road. Next thing I was upside down and planted on my head on the side of the road. I tried to get my bearings straight, and noticed some major discomfort in my left quad. I didn't think much of it at first, perhaps only an insane lame leg. But after trying to push through it, I soon found out that I was in serious trouble. I couldn't even turn the pedals, or walk up the slightest incline. I made the call to pull out, before causing major damage to myself.

So in the end I saw my 6 minute lead vanish out of no where. This week is going to be all about trying to get the leg sorted for Karkloof Classic! Off to the physio on Wednesday to get it scoped out properly.

Till next time
B

No comments: