Monday, March 15, 2010

Momentum health XC Provincial #3- Uvongo

Hey guys! wow its been a while since I updated my blog! Not a lot has happened over the past 2 weeks or so. No racing besides this past weekend.

We travelled down to the South Coast on Friday afternoon to get booked into our accommodation in Uvongo itself. We chose to make a weekend of the race, just to give us a mini 'holiday'. After a chilled Friday evening, we made our way to the course the following morning.

I did a couple of laps around the short, fast course and then decided to hit the road and chillax the rest of the afternoon. My brother and his mate arrived later in the afternoon and we all decided to go cliff jumping into the lagoon just down the road. Well all I can say was it was an extremely exhilarating experience!!! :)

After a good, stress relieving afternoon, we all settled in to enjoy the light afternoon drizzle that pulled in while we sat around a braai. A few good laughs were had, which really helped towards the 'chill factor'

Sunday dawned, and with a 12:30 start time, I was fortunate enough to watch a bit of the Argus! I lounged around until it was time to suit up, and then made made my way across to the venue, which was only a 5 minute ride away from our house. I arrived an registered to race up a category in the u23's. What lay ahead of us was 10 laps of flat out racing, on a tight twisty, bumpy and rough course!

After a nice chilled warm up around field, we lined up on the start. with a minute or so to go the field became quite anxious. At the sound of the whistle Andrew Warr took to the front, with Carl Calvarley and myself in tow. As we entered the first single track Andrew made a mistake, which in the end cost him the race. He burped his back wheels and ended up damaging his tyre. Carl and I took to the front and pushed the pace really hard. I tried to get rid of him a couple of times but just couldn't manage to as he'd close the gap down on the flat sections. After two laps of an intense pace I began to hurt, at this time Carl pushed past me and began to open a gap. I chased for the remainder of the race (8laps or so) with him opening around 10 or so seconds each lap. On lap #10 however, I managed to get a burst out of nowhere, but I was only able to take 10 out of his 2minute lead.

All in all it was a FANTASTIC weekend! The racing was great, the weekend was amazing and it definitely gave me a break from school and work. Well done to team mates Eszter and Ryan on there awesome results! A huge thanks to the Bundu bashers club for putting on such a fantastic event!

until next time

B

No comments: