Monday, February 15, 2010

Hard Weekend! Blythedale MTB Classic

Hey guys!

Man was this weekend tough! I was down in Port Shepstone from Friday and man did I have some tough training while I was down there! Saturday morning I was up at sparrows and took to the road to attack the 'Two Gorges' route, I lung busting route that makes its way through, yes you guessed it... two gorges! and then a 40 minute time trial at the end! Then that evening it was Candice Neethling's 18th Birthday party... meaning a late night.

After a really awesome night and a couple hours of sleep I loaded the car and left the Neethlings' house at 5am to make the trip to the Blythedale Coastal Resort MTB classic. We arrived at the race at around 7 and suited up straight away and went for a thorough warm up. I settled on the start line with Craig, Pete and Ryan! Straight from the start one of the riders tried to split up the field but this was soon countered when Craig came through and started to put down the hammer on on of the short climbs! I responded really well and managed to jump ship and follow his wheel, along with Andew Warr. The pace got harder and pretty soon we had a comfortable gap over the chasing bunch behind. Unfortunately Craig's legs started to hurt of his race the day before, which left Andrew and I up front. Andrew began to attack frequently and I was determined to stay in contact with him. He managed to get a gap a couple of times, but surprisingly I managed to close them down. At about the 25km mark I began to feel the previous days training. I pushed to stay with Andrew, but when he upped the pace again I just couldn't follow his wheel. I rode the final 10km a a solo time trial and managed to hold off the hard chasing pack of Craig, Pete and Sean Merridew. Andrew finished 2 or so minutes ahead. Craig had a awesome sprint for 4th against Sean, which gave Jeep and awesome 2nd, 3rd and 4th overall.



Well done Max for such an awesome event and a huge thanks to Blythedale Resort, Ewan and the team for putting together an amazing course! It was awesome to see new event sponsor Vitamin Water handing out some thirst quenching beverages at the finish-what an awesome product, go out and try some!



Until next time
B

No comments: