Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Ball is Rolling

Hey Guys,

Wow, it's been a while since I've updated my blog! Just to let you know that this past weekend was the first Provincial XC of the year and was held at Stainbank Nature Reserve.

Unfortunately, the course was a lot less technical from previous years, but the number of laps was increased. I made the decision to race up an age category, meaning, I'd be racing U23 instead of Junior. I knew there was a mountain of a task ahead of me, but at the same time, would help benefit my riding by racing against the elite athletes.

Our race started very late in the day, so I chilled around the feed zone and technical area to watch some of the youngsters battle it out. After some good racing throughout the day, it was time to suit up and hit a spin to warm up the legs. The humidity and heat was really unbearable, so the officials decided to reduce the number of laps from 8 to 7. I lined up on the start line and managed to get a good position on the front row of the start line. My nerves began to kick in as I sat amongst some of the countries best elites, but I tried to remain calm and relaxed for the pain that lay ahead. Straight out of the gates, Rourke Croeser went hard and I managed to jump onto his wheel. Roan Exelby and Dave Leiman were close in tow as we hit the fast open grass sections. I held onto Rourke for as long as possible and we managed to open up a small gap on the other riders. By the time we hit the big climb of the race, Rourke had opened a gap and left me in no mans land... I dropped back to the chase bunch with Roan, Andrew Warr and Dave. We rode hard to try close the gap for a while but Rorke was just too strong. As the race went on Roan and I dropped off the chase bunch and then on the fifth lap disaster stuck. I flatted my rear tyre and the valve came loose after I bombed the tyre. I tightened it as much as possible and had to wait for another rider to give me a bomb. After waiting, James Reid popped around the corner and came to the rescue. I bombed the tyre and rode to the finish. I put my spare wheel in, just in case the valve came loose again. I pushed super hard to try make up the positions I had lost and started to real in some of the riders that had past me. But disaster struck again on the last lap, I burped my rear wheel and was without a bomb. I decided to ride the final KIlometer or so on my flat wheel.




IN the end, I was a little dissappointed, but it was a very valuable learning experience. I was stoked that I still managed to pull off a 2nd in the U23 Category. It was insanely difficult racing, but hopefully it'll pay off when the time comes for nationals!

No comments: