Monday, March 23, 2009

Wagendrift Dam-Estcourt Super Classic 22 March 2009

Hey guys

Well, this weekend was the Wagendrift/Bushmans series Super Classic held just outside Estcourt, on the Wagendrift Nature Reserve.

After a interesting morning, with me having left my kit bag at home, we eventually pulled into the race venue.

The facilities there were really awesome, especially being situated around the dam! The hills in the area were looking pretty big and bumpy and everyone knew it was going to be hot since we were racing in the bushveld and we were only starting at 09:00.


checking the bikes

We started at 09:00 sharp and the first minor attack went in the first 20m or so, but it was soon closed down until we turned off the tar road. As we turned off the tar and onto the really rocky climb Craig Paul and Pete Smith (team mates) just rode off the front of the bunch while everyone on hard tails, myself included were being bounced around. I managed to close the gap slightly, but the pace was just too hot. I dropped off and soon began dropping positions.

My legs eventually came right after some really tough climbs in the first 10km. I slowly began to make my way back up the field and soon caught Travis Walker (Life in Motion) who's hands were cramping in the bumpy jeep track. I soon had James Reid (Life in Motion) back in my sights and pushed really hard to close the gap. He had suffered from a puncture, and this helped me to catch up.

We then hit the longest climb of the day which made its way up a mountain pass. James and I began to really work well together and the gap between us, and 4th overall, Shaun Peschl, began to close quickly. With 12km to go we were only a couple of seconds back on him. Eventually we caught him with 5km or so to go. Unfortunately, going past the last water table I got caught up behind back markers and James and Shaun got away and with only 1km to go it seemed impossible to catch them again as the pace had really picked up.






I eventually settled for 6th overall, and 1st youth(u16). Hats off to James who rode a fantastic race to claim 1st junior and 4th overall. Pete and Craig brought it home for Team Jeep SA with a 1,2 overall.

The route was tough, but I had a great race and was very happy with my result.

Well, this weekend coming is the PMB XC on the WC track, and the weekend after it's the 4th leg of the MTN National MTB series also on the Cascades WC course.

Until next time
ciao

No comments: