Monday, February 23, 2009

XC Provincial #2 Cascades

Hello again!

Just a low down from the last up date, on Friday I managed to get a good rest day in - Finally!:) On Saturday, Trav Walker and Myself went for a medium paced 3,5 hour ride at Cascades, and man were the conditions super slick! It was barely ride able... we dropped our tyre pressure down to around 19psi and managed to ride the whole course.
Unfortunately, the weather man got it a little wrong for Sundays conditions, so the wet practise was worthless.

ON Sunday I slept in a bit longer than usually as the venue was only around 500m from my house. I got ready and took a nice chilled ride down to Cascades to check out the conditions of the course while the younger age groups were racing.

The course was super wet from the rain on Saturday night, but it was drying super fast. By the time I was on the start the course looked really sweet.



Off the start I tried to create a gap, but my legs had no response so I sat up and rode comfortably until Luke Roberts came to the front and began to work. up the first tough climb we broke away and opened a good gap to third place. We continued riding hard over the next 4 laps, trying to ride each other off. I was able to get small gaps in the single track, but my legs couldn't maintain the pace on the open sections, they were just too tired. On the last lap he managed to ride off the front and had a 40sec. gap after the first 1.5km loop. I decided to ride as hard as I could until I blew. Fortunately I didn't blow, but I only closed the gap down to 17sec. by the finish.

The race was really intense, the hard week really took it's toll, but hats off to Luke! Well done on an awesome result, and a great race!

To Kim Phillips, thanks for the awesome course, and all the hard work and effort put into the race. The single track was really fast and flowing with some gnarly sections.

The Next race is down at the South Coast,and then it's off to the all important Big one S.A Champs!

Until then
Ciao

No comments: