Sunday, September 14, 2008

Lynford Super Classic 14 September 2008

A very early morning saw us to the Lynford School, just outside Ixopo. Having left home at 5:00 a.m. we arrived there, still half asleep. As we stepped out the car, I could already feel the heat and knew that there was going to be an extremely hot.

Again the turn out for this super classic was immense and had a pool of top riders, Brandon Stewart, Pete Smith, Roan Exelby and Jedson Tooms, along with many more. The racing was started with the traditional shooting of a bottle of milk, and from the start the attacks started. As we turned onto the climb Jedson attacked. Brandon charged through the pack and took control of the race shortly after. I hung on as long as possible but had to drop off before the crest of the climb. I was sitting 10th overall and trailing quite badly from the chase bunch.

I gave chase as hard as possible and I eventually worked my way back up to 7th, passing Tim Stark and Daniel Paul. I continued chasing as hard as possible and I managed to eventually drop Daniel. Going into the second loop of about 10km, I was beginning to close down the Gap on Travis Walker. But in turn Daniel’s sheer power seriously closed the gap on me on the open sections. He caught me on the last big climb and dropped me, but I was still closing down on Travis. With about 2km to go I could seem him in the distance. I went hammer to the wall to try close the gap but it was too late in the race. I managed to pull off an 8th overall and 2nd Youth male.

The course was fantastic, as always. Hats off to “Farmer” Glen Haw and the course setters. The venue was awesome and the atmosphere was great, which made for an awesome days racing.

No comments: