Sunday, June 8, 2008

Howick Super Classic - 8 June 2008

A very VERY cold morning saw us to the Howick High School. The weather was to my liking, cold and really wet. Although the weather was really bum, there was still a considerable amount of entries, close on 300!

The Classic was off at 09:00 sharp. The first kilometer or so was a neutral zone, just until we crossed over the main road. As the lead vehicle pulled over, the racing began. Straight into the course and the first climb started. At the top of the climb I had managed to settle into 7th position, in a pack with Carl Calverley, Jedson Tooms and Dave Louw just behind us. I entered the first single track right behind Jedson, but on the other side Carl was nowhere to be seen (he must have suffered a mechanical). It was now Jedson, myself and Dave. But on the second climb of the day Jedson broke away leaving Dave and I to chase.

Dave and I gave chase until we eventually managed to catch Jedson on the biggest and longest climb of the race. Jedson, having had to stop for mechanicals, had caused his muscles to get cold, leaving us to close the gap on him. By the top of the climb Dave had opened up a gap on me. We had managed to drop Jedson further down the mountain.

We entered into “Gums” one of my favourite single-tracks, but it had become really bad with all the rain. I went as fast as the single track would let me, I came off hard in the one section but managed to regain focus and keep chasing Dave.

Approaching the finish came another of my favourite single tracks, and I again pushed as hard as the conditions would let me. As I hit the tar road I sprinted to keep the gap I had on the guys behind me and to try close on Dave.

I crossed the line in 7th overall, 1st in age (youth). I really enjoyed the course, one of my favorite of the year. Well-done to the guys who have put so much time and effort into this race!!!

No comments: