Friday, April 25, 2008

Energizer Night Relay 25 April 2008

The 4th Energizer night relay was again held at the awesome grounds of Hilton College, with the sun setting the back drop was awesome, and it was going to be an awesome night for racing!

Candice Neethling (a fellow team mate) and I had joined together for the mixed relay. The racing started as it became dark, Candice did the first lap, and came in relatively near the front after a great first lap. When she came in she tagged me and I sprinted off into the dark, pushing as hard as I could. Maybe I went a little too hard, my light on my handle bars came loose and I had to stop and put it back on a couple of times. After reattaching it a couple of times, I went really hard at every place I could, and managed to catch and pass some teams ahead of me. Coming back onto the field I caught Lance Kime, going onto the last lap, I had to tag Candice and then we had to do the third lap together.
Candice, myself, lance Kime and Andrew Birkett all left together.

Working together we took turns pulling in the front, but coming into the one sandy section, I lost focus and hit it at full speed, not prepared for what was going to happen, I was spat off and landed hard on the ground.
After landing so hard my light had once again come loose, I told Candice to carry on. I fixed my light but as I caught Candice it once again came loose, this happened 2 more times during the last lap!

Coming into the finish we became very excited and anxious to know how we had featured in the mixed division and were delighted to hear that we had actually come home first in our respective category.

It was awesome fun, and we both really enjoyed it. I could not have asked for a better partner to race with and a huge thanks must go out to Candice. The course was awesome, great single track, and a huge amount of organization went into the race. Well done!

No comments: